Windsor - Feb. 28, 2020: The following quote is attributed to Dr. Wajid Ahmed, Medical Officer of Health for the Windsor-Essex Health County Unit:
“Today, I had an opportunity to meet with City of Windsor officials and other key community partners to provide an update about the COVID-19 and our local planning and preparation efforts. The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) continues to monitor the current global outbreak and are working with our health system partners to respond if any case of COVID-19 shows up in our community. At this point, I want to reassure the community that there are currently no cases locally and 6 confirmed cases in Ontario.
On February 27, the case definition for COVID-19 expanded to include travel beyond China (mainland). Travel advisories now include Hong Kong, Iran, Italy, Japan, Singapore, and South Korea (impacted areas). The WECHU is asking local residents that if they have travelled from those impacted areas within the past 14 days, they should:
Call the WECHU at 519-258-2146 ext. 1420 within 24 hours of arriving in Canada.
Call the WECHU at 519-258-2146 ext. 1420 if you are experiencing symptoms of the COVID-19.
Members of the public should continue to practice the usual infection prevention measures to reduce the spread of any respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19 and influenza, by:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
- Stay home when you are ill.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the garbage and wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces that are frequently touched.”