John Bolton has been a broadcaster for 25 years, most recently in Cornwall Ontario. After living in Ontario his entire life John and his wife Sheila recently moved to Alberta where John fills in on Calgary radio discussing politics, current events and all things Alberta. He believes in personal responsibility, limited government and being able to keep more of the money he earns. If you have questions or wish to contact John, you can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
How refreshing to sing the Canadian national anthem completely in English
John R. Bolton
I couldn't believe my ears. I went to a Calgary Hitmen Junior hockey game at the Saddledome the other night and I got to sing the Canadian national anthem completely in English. How refreshing.
I doubt a team named 'The Hitmen' would be accepted in uptight Ontario.
Strathmore - March 22, 2012 - It has been a fun week in Alberta, but I've had my eyes on you Cornwall. Here are a few of the things that have had my attention.
- I hope Cornwall City Council is back on the 'increase the population' kick. With new funding guidelines being announced by the provincial government, it looks like population might help determine how much money you get for your hospital.
- I was sad to hear that Cornwall had slid down the list of best places to live in Canada. I wish someone had spoken to me. It might have been good for a couple notches up.
- The Province of Ontario is interested in opening a casino in Toronto. I have no problem with the idea (gambling is self inflicted taxation), but the reason, that's a different thing. To think you can pay down the deficit in this way shows how devoid the McGuinty government is of ideas.
- Remember the intense opposition to a casino in Cornwall back in the late 90's? I remember Aldermen (that was before Councillors) standing up and railing against the idea at a public forum at the Civic Complex. I'll bet a few Councillors in Cornwall would love to open one today. With the province approving the idea for Toronto, maybe it's time to address the issue again. I think it was Councillors Gardiner and Rivette who brought the idea to city council a few years back.
- Have fun with your weekly recycling in Cornwall. Did you know the only thing that is worth recycling is aluminum cans? You're better off throwing the rest of your garbage in a big hole and burying it.
- I couldn't believe my ears. I went to a Calgary Hitmen Junior hockey game at the Saddledome the other night and I got to sing the Canadian national anthem completely in English. How refreshing.
- I doubt a team named 'The Hitmen' would be accepted in uptight Ontario.
- Interim Liberal leader Bob Rae is getting all bent out of shape over new ads by the Conservatives that criticize his days as Premier of Ontario. The truth hurts doesn't it Bob?
- Alberta got some good news from the federal government. The province will be getting an extra $1 billion in transfer payments every year to cover health care costs. Alberta has been subsidizing other provinces for years. The money will come at the expense of Ontario and Quebec. It's not good news for those provinces when they are languishing and Alberta is booming. Maybe Dalton can build another casino.
- What a nice treat to get a call from Angelo Towndale from the Children's Treatment Centre the other day. Angelo called to tell my wife Sheila that her suggestion for a guest speaker at the Bike-a-thon Plus Kick-Off Breakfast (April 24th) had been booked. I'm sure Angelo and the CTC will have more details in upcoming weeks.
- There's an old saying in Cornwall... 'You can't say no to Angelo'. I'm sure Sheila and I would have had our airline flight booked if Angelo had asked us for help at the Bike-a-thon Plus on May 26th.
- I might be riding in the Bike-a-thon Plus this year. Maybe we can call it Bike-a-thon West. I'll have more details at a later date.
- In other event news. I see the Raisin River Canoe Race is coming up on April 22nd. I was in the race once with my friend Joyce Gravelle. It was a lot of fun. About 100 photos were taken of us paddling the river and my oar wasn't in the water in a single one. Thanks Joyce... Good times.
- Hope for a lot of rain in the next month or that race might not happen.
- My old morning show buddy Jamie Carr wants you to be part of his show 'Come Dine With Me Canada'. Wouldn't it be amazing to have a show based in Cornwall? Come on Cornwall cooks, get involved. Get in touch with Jamie at the radio station to get the details.
- I have to tell you, I'm a little jealous of the weather you're getting in Eastern Ontario. I love the heat. Then again, I'm going skiing near Lake Louise this weekend... not too shabby.
7,741 Stories & Growing Daily...
To date OurHometown.ca has posted a total of 7,741 stories! News, sports, hockey, lifestyle, opinion and more!