John Bolton has been a broadcaster for 25 years, most recently in Cornwall Ontario. After living in Ontario his entire life John and his wife Sheila recently moved to Alberta where John fills in on Calgary radio discussing politics, current events and all things Alberta. He believes in personal responsibility, limited government and being able to keep more of the money he earns. If you have questions or wish to contact John, you can email him at email@example.com
Question for Gerald Samson, can we call you Gerry?
John R. Bolton
Congratulations and good luck to Gerald Samson the new guy on city council. Gerald will be sworn in on April 23rd. Samson's experience as a school board trustee will serve him well. Question: Gerald... can we call you Gerry? I wonder if Mary Ann Hug is following council closely? She ran 12th.
- I wonder how many business people look at a communities logo and say, ”I don't like the logo, let's not invest there”?
- Speaking of logos. A few years ago I remember talking to a councillor about putting the logo and city slogan in coloured crushed stone on the berm on the 401 that runs adjacent to Patrick Street. Maybe a local business would sponsor it so city taxpayers wouldn't be on the hook for the cost. I think it would look great and cover up an eyesore.
- Another great idea. How about a fountain in Lamoureux Park just below the RCAF Wing? It doesn't have to be anything too fancy. Any local business or service club interested in taking it on? It might even frighten some waterfowl.
- A group called stop100.ca wants to raise the speed limit in Ontario and its pleas are falling on deaf ears. The group thinks the speed limit should be raised from 10 to 30 km/hr. I agree. How many times have you had to maneuver around someone doing 100km/h on the highway? Not too often, as most people are doing at least 110. Cars doing the speed limit are more of a danger than the people exceeding it. The Province of Ontario says it has no intention of raising the speed limit at this time. Why not? After all the nonsense in Ontario, the Liberals might gain some supporters with an idea like this. The speed limit on major highways in Alberta is 110km/h. I haven't noticed any major pile-ups because of excessive speed. What do you think?
- I'm saddened to hear that Levon Helm has passed away. The Drummer for The Band had been fighting cancer for some time. There wasn't another drummer on the planet that looked as cool while singing behind a drum kit. I'm going to have to pull out 'The Last Waltz' and give it a good listen. R.I.P. Levon.
- Brush with greatness. I spoke with Levon Helm on the phone about 25 years ago. He called CHOK Radio in Sarnia one night while I was on the air. He was looking for the phone number of the Program Director. Giving out phone numbers was forbidden, but Helm's voice was instantly recognizable. I gave him the number and told him I was a big fan.
- Former Colorado Avalanche, Cornwall Aces and Hawkesbury Hawks coach Bob Hartley's name is being thrown around as a possible replacement for fired Calgary Flames coach Brent Sutter. Hartley is now coaching in Switzerland.
- I'm riding in the Bike-a-thon Plus for the Children's Treatment Centre this year... with a twist. I'm riding it in Alberta. My 100 km ride will take me into the Rocky Mountains to Banff. I would really appreciate it if you could sponsor me. You can get all the details by clicking below.