John Bolton has been a broadcaster for 25 years, most recently in Cornwall Ontario. After living in Ontario his entire life John and his wife Sheila recently moved to Alberta where John fills in on Calgary radio discussing politics, current events and all things Alberta. He believes in personal responsibility, limited government and being able to keep more of the money he earns. If you have questions or wish to contact John, you can email him at email@example.com
You heard it here first - Hartley lands in Cow Town
John R. Bolton
You heard it here first. In my April 19th column I suggested former Colorado Avalanche, Cornwall Aces and Hawkesbury Hawks coach Bob Hartley could be named as head coach for the Calgary Flames. I'm a Leafs fan, but I hope Hartley does big things in Cow Town.
Strathmore - June 4, 2012 - It has been a fun week in Alberta, but I've had my eyes on you Cornwall. Here are a few of the things that have had my attention.
- The Cornwall River Kings of the Quebec North American Hockey League need a logo. If you have an idea send it to the team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Marketing could be huge for the team, so I hope you come up with something great. My suggestion? Stay away from playing cards.
- You heard it here first. In my April 19th column I suggested former Colorado Avalanche, Cornwall Aces and Hawkesbury Hawks coach Bob Hartley could be named as head coach for the Calgary Flames. I'm a Leafs fan, but I hope Hartley does big things in Cow Town.
- I'm betting the city won't get a casino, but I think it's worth looking into. I wonder if TVCogeco still has the tapes of the public meeting about the proposed casino from the late 90's? Several Aldermen stood up and railed against the idea back then.
- I hope the city and the Chamber of Commerce get a count of the cars crossing the border starting today and moving forward. It will be interesting to see if the new cross border shopping rules will make a difference and whether all the complaints about the changes are warranted.
- Alberta has joined Ontario and several other provinces in a lawsuit against tobacco companies over smokers health care costs. Will the provinces be banning cigarettes if they win the case? After all, should they be collecting tax dollars on something that creates so much misery? Hypocrisy anyone?
- NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair came to Alberta and left with the same feelings and comments he had before he got here. Mulcair continues to blame the problems in the east on the prosperity in the west. If Mulcair was honest he would just say what he really wants to happen in Alberta... shut down the oil industry. That's why this man should never become prime minister.
- If you think New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's ban on any drink over 16 ounces is a good idea, you need to think about how much personal liberty you're willing to give up to government. How far should politicians be able to go? The next time it could be the 20 ounce sirloin at a steakhouse or a bag of potato chips or a pack of M&M's. Give these nanny state social engineers an inch and they'll take a mile.
- While most Canadian sports fans were watching hockey, I was watching a sport that actually had some Canadian content. Professional cycling. Victoria native Ryder Hesjedal became the first Canadian to win a grand cycling tour... The Giro d'Italia. Hesjedal is just one of a growing number of Canadians excelling at a sport that has traditionally been the expertise of Europeans. Hesjedal's win is on par (pun intended) with Mike Weir's win at The Masters. Next stop for Hesjedal is the Tour de France, where he is now one of the favourites.
- Let me know if the low level bridge has become a tourist attraction? When The Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia was twinned people spent hours watching the workers. Thanks to Kevin Lajoie, Public Information Co-ordinator at the City of Cornwall for sending recent photos of the build. It looks like things are moving along nicely.
- I would suggest you pay close attention to Dan Allaire's column about Vitamin D3. I now take 2000 units every day after being told by my family doctor (you can get one in Alberta) I was very low. The Sun can help you get more in your system in the spring and summer, but every year you'll slip further into deficit. Like Dan says, ”Get It In You!”
Vitamin D3 - Get it in you - OurHometown.ca
- Did you miss the Relay for Life in Maxville? Then you missed out on an inspiring event that raises money to fight the big C. Years ago having cancer would be a death sentence, but because of the work of The Canadian Cancer Society and its donors and volunteers, men and women need not die of prostate, cervical and other forms of cancer. Another event is coming up on June 15th in Ingleside, so make sure you contact Sharyn Duffey or Carolyn Bourassa at Cancer Society to sign up a team.
Canadian Cancer Society SD&G
- Congratulations to all the participants in last weekends Bike-a-thon Plus for The Children's Treatment Centre. The event raised a whopping $130,000. The centre does amazing work helping sexually abused kids. Well done to the volunteers as well.
- I had a great time riding from Cochrane to Banff last weekend for the CTC and Little Warriors. Thank you to all my friends who donated money for the cause. I hope to get others involved in helping the kids next year.
Here's a photo of me riding near Canmore.
- If you're up late over the next few weeks you might want to tune in to me on QR77 in Calgary and CHED in Edmonton. I'll be filling in on The Rob Breakenridge Show. The show is on from 9-11pm MT. Drink lots of coffee.
- Today I heard Good Morning Starshine by Oliver on the radio. I think it's the worst song ever written. What do you think? If you've got one that's worse, let me know about it.
- If you haven't been out west... you have got to get here. You may never leave. I took this photo on Sunday May 27th at 7:30am while riding my bike near Banff.
- Have any comments? Just click the button below. Talk to you next week.
8,374 Stories & Growing Daily...
To date OurHometown.ca has posted a total of 8,374 stories! News, sports, hockey, lifestyle, opinion and more!