Colorado Shooting - Aurora Police provide update on case progress
Aurora Police Department
The Aurora Police Department does not have further press conferences scheduled for this case at this time. A Memorial and Prayer Vigil is scheduled for tomorrow evening at the City of Aurora Campus at 15151 East Alameda Parkway from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Aurora - July 21, 2012 - A number of packages were recently delivered to the suspect’s apartment and school address, which may have contained the ammunition and weapons accessories he obtained on the internet.
- Major threats inside the apartment have been eliminated. According to the FBI spokesman, the overall threat has not been completely eliminated but has been significantly reduced.
- There were multiple booby traps in the apartment, along with IED ‘s or IID.’s, trip wires and accelerants with trigger mechanisms.
- Entry into the apartment was made by a robot controlled by an Adams County Bomb Tech.
- It is possible those families from surrounding apartment buildings may be allowed to return home tonight. We hope that the residents of 1690 Paris Street will be home by tomorrow evening.
- It appears that the suspect set up the booby traps to kill or seriously injure whoever walked through the door first, indicating the intention of possibly attempting to kill a police officer.
- The University of Colorado Police Department deployed bomb dogs and searched buildings on the adjacent medical campus as a precaution, to ensure that there were no hazards left by the suspect. Nothing was found. No radioactive materials or biohazards are missing from the facilities.
- Two devices were intentionally and safely detonated at the Paris Steet site by the explosives experts.
THEATER CRIME SCENE -No further hazards there. Personal effects of victims have been removed and it is hoped we can start to release those items to families starting Monday, provided the items are not of evidentiary value.
- Aurora Police hope to be finished processing the theater crime scene on Monday. The defense attorneys will have access to the theater on Tuesday. It is anticipated that the property will be turned over to the owners on Wednesday.
- Carole O’Shea, the Victim Assistance Supervisor for the Aurora Police Department, briefly addressed the media.
COURT DATES AND TIMES - The first hearing for Mr. Holmes will be on this coming Monday at 9:30 a.m. at the Arapahoe County Courts located at 7325 S. Potomac Street, Centennial, CO. The case will be prosecuted by the State of Colorado.
The Aurora Police Department does not have further press conferences scheduled for this case at this time. We will hold media updates as dictated by circumstances.
Aurora Mental Health, the Red Cross and victim advocates will continue to offer grief counseling services Aurora Public School Rangeview High School tomorrow from noon until 4:00 p.m.
A Memorial and Prayer Vigil is scheduled for tomorrow evening at the City of Aurora Campus at 15151 East Alameda Parkway from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
The Arapahoe County Coroner’s Office released the names of the deceased victims this afternoon. The office number is 720.874.3625.
7,921 Stories & Growing Daily...
To date OurHometown.ca has posted a total of 7,921 stories! News, sports, hockey, lifestyle, opinion and more!