I bet there are a lot of junior hockey players who will have trouble sleeping tonight with the NHL Entry Draft taking place tomorrow. For these guys, it is the day they have dreamt about since they first picked up the stick. Best of luck to Windsor Spitfires Kerby Rychel – boy would he look good in a Toronto Maple Leafs Uniform.
Stoney Point - June 29, 2013 - I bet there are a lot of junior hockey players who will have trouble sleeping tonight with the NHL Entry Draft taking place tomorrow. For these guys, it is the day they have dreamt about since they first picked up the stick. Best of luck to Windsor Spitfires Kerby Rychel – boy would he look good in a Toronto Maple Leafs Uniform.
- Nice to see that Daniel Alfredsson will be back for another season – his 18th. As a Leafs fan, he has had some memorable games against the Buds but the NHL is a better place with guys like Alfie in it.
- Steve Yzerman broke the bank to cut Vincent Lecavalier loose and twenty nine other NHL General Managers are hoping to find a way to get the big centre under contract. In a span of 48 hours, he has become the most sought after NHL Free Agent. I am reading rumours that the Dallas Stars might be a front runner, but somehow I think he will end up in a Habs uniform.
- Wonder if Mike Gillis, GM of the Vancouver Canucks is taking notes from the buyouts of Lecavalier, Ilya Bryzgalov, Danny Briere and others. The whole Roberto Luongo – Cory Schneider discussion has turned into a fiasco out west. I bet John Tortorella is hoping a decision is made – as I am sure Alain Vigneault did before him. Schneider may now be the one to move, as nobody including Gillis wants to eat Luongo’s salary.
- Looks like Tuuka Rask is in line for about $7.0M per season according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. I am sure John Ferguson Jr. would like a do-over on that deal.
- Rumours circulating that Tyler Seguin may be available and that has sparked much debate on a number of sites about who won the Kessel trade – Boston or Toronto. Seguin has his name on the Cup, Dougie Hamilton played seven games in the Bruins run to the final this year. Kessel and the Leafs self-destructed with ten to go in game seven. At least that is a major argument Bruins fans are making. I still like Burke’s deal.
- Heard a rumour about Dion Phaneuf getting moved to Edmonton. Can’t see the Leafs moving their captain.
- It will be interesting to see how many trades are made on Draft Day. Stay tuned!
In his lifetime, Chris Savard has spent time as both an elected official and a hot air balloon pilot. As such, FULL OF HOT AIR seemed to be an appropriate name for this column. Savard will provide his thoughts on a number of topics including hockey on this site, as well as politics and local issues on OurHometown.ca. His opinion combined with $1.60 will buy you a medium coffee at Tim's! You can email him at email@example.com
3,290 Stories & Growing Daily...
To date HometownHockey.ca has posted a total of 3,290 hockey stories!