Guelph - October 25, 2014 - Pius Suter scored three times and Justin Nichols made 35 saves, as the
Guelph Storm topped the Windsor Spitfires 5-2 Friday night at the Sleeman Centre.
Suter's second of the night, and eighth of the season, at 17:11 of the second period was the game's key moment. The goal came just a few shifts after Windsor (3-7-1-0) failed to score on a full two-minute, 5-on-3 advantage, while trailing 3-1. Suter took a Jason Dickinson (2A) feed and deftly kicked the puck from his skate to stick, before beating Alex Fotinos (31 saves), giving Guelph (7-3-0-0) all the offense it would need.
Sam Povorozniouk (4,5) had both goals for Windsor; the first snapping a stretch of 114:31 without a Spitfires goal that dated all the way back to late in the second period last Sunday in Owen Sound.
Zac Leslie chipped in a pair of assists for the winners.
Josh Ho-Sang had a pair of helpers for the visitors.
The Spits look to snap a four-game losing streak Saturday night as they host the Mississauga Steelheads. Gametime is 7:05 at the WFCU Centre.
1. GUE Suter (7) (Fabbri, Leslie) 4:21 PP,
2. GUE McEwan (1) (Leslie, Craievich) 18:26
3. GUE Baltisberger (1) (Craievich, Bertuzzi) 5:47,
4. WSR Povorozniouk (4) (Ho-Sang,
Marchese) 7:43 PP,
5. GUE Suter (8) (Dickinson, Carroll) 17:11
6. WSR Povorozniouk (5) (Ho-Sang, Murphy) 15:24 PP
7. GUE Suter (9) (Dickinson)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
WSR 15 - 11 - 11 = 37,
GUE 15 - 12 - 9 = 36